Professional Tips & Advice
A step-by-step guide to spray tanning
3 Min Read Thursday 9th June 2016
If you’ve never had a spray tan before here’s our quick guide√Ç¬†on what to expect at√Ç¬†your first appointment:
- Make sure you’ve shaved or waxed at least 24 hours before your treatment. It’s also good practice to exfoliate your skin a day before and avoid wearing deodorant, perfume and make-up on the day of your spray tan.
- If you do have any√Ç¬†make-up on your tanning therapist will probably have some wipes on hand to help you remove it.
- Next up your therapist will discuss colour options with you. Lighter, sun-kissed√Ç¬†tans are ideal for sensitive skin types, red heads and people with freckles because they add a gentle touch of colour and look very natural. Darker shades are better for olive skins.
- You’ll need to remove your clothes while the therapist waits outside the treatment room. You’ll be provided with disposable underwear, a hair net and sticky feet (these look like insoles and have a sticky surface so that they can adhere to the bottom of your feet and protect them from becoming discoloured by spray tan).
- Don’t feel self conscious! Your therapist has seen it all and it’s part of her√Ç¬†job to put her clients at ease and help them to feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Once you step into the tanning booth you’ll be guided√Ç¬†through the tanning process as the treatment progresses. Although each therapist uses different tanning techniques it’s likely that tanner will be applied to your face first through a spray gun and then down over the rest of your body.
- Along the way you might be asked to stand with your arms out, as if you’re holding a ball, so that the tanner can be evenly applied over the hands and to bend your knees to allow greater access to the sides of your legs and torso.
- Then you’ll be asked to turn around so that your back can be tanned.
- Once the tanner has been fully applied you can step out of the booth and wait for it to dry before putting on some loose clothing. This should take about 10 minutes. Try to avoid wearing anything with tight straps to prevent streaks and patches. Also don’t forget to bring comfortable shoes!
- Your therapist will tell you when to wash off the guide colour, which could be anything from 1-8 hours depending on the type of tanning solution used.
- Book in for your next spray tan before you leave the salon to guarantee that√Ç¬†you’re skin will look gorgeously golden all summer long!