How to run an environmentally friendly waxing salon
Reduce, reuse and recycle — following this simple tip can instantly help to increase you salon’s green credentials, guarantee that you’re doing your bit to save the environment and reduce the effects of climate change. Here are 8 ways to put it into action at your waxing salon today:
- Green up your kit — although used¬†wax removal strips made from paper or 100% cotton need to be disposed of safely and don’t tend to be suitable for recycling, they are made from renewable sources. So are¬†wooden application spatulas¬†and¬†birchwood sticks.
- If you want to go one step further, opt for metal wax spatulas that can be reused hundreds of time and produce zero waste. Sterilise them after each client and you can continue to use them safely for years. You’ll need about 14 spatulas to complete a full leg wax.
- Go paperless and commit to digital record keeping to save paper. Need to update your old computer? Give it to charity or donate it to a school so it can be used again.
- Turn off all appliances and equipment so they don’t remain on stand by overnight and use up energy. In fact, switch off the lights in treatment rooms or other areas of your salon while they’re not in use.
- Stock mugs and glasses in the staff room so employees don’t bring in paper and plastic alternatives that add to landfills. Better yet, go for drinkware made from renewable sources, such as bamboo! Use compostable coffee pods for hot drinks.
- Invest in quality equipment and materials that you can rely on and therefore won’t need to replace. It makes better financial sense to invest in premium items over cheaper alternatives in the long term and it’s better for the environment too.
- Launder your towels at a low temperature and use eco-friendly detergent. Always wash full loads over half loads to prevent water waste and leave your towels out to dry naturally instead of using a tumble dryer.
- Sell retail products? Put them in paper bags that can be easily recycled instead of plastic ones that aren’t biodegradable.