Fake tanning tips that work!
Fake tanning at home can have brilliant results if you follow a few basic rules. Here are 12 self-tanning tips that are guaranteed to lend your skin the perfect glow in time for Spring:
- Exfoliate with a body brush or body scrub in the shower a day before your tan to remove dead skin cells. This will help your tanner to glide on smoothly and encourage your glow to last longer.
- Wax or shave 24 hours before tanning to remove unwanted hair. Hair removal treatments can strip your colour away prematurely so always complete them prior to tanning and wait a day or so to allow your pores to close up and prevent a dotty finish.
- Rub a small amount of moisturiser over particularly dry areas, such as the knees and elbows. Extra dry spots can soak up more tanner, resulting in a patchy finish, so hydrate them first so the colour looks even all over when you’re done.
- Polish your fingernails and toenails to prevent staining (clear varnish works just as well as a colour!).
- Apply a touch of petroleum jelly to your hairline and brows to eliminate the risk of tanner clinging on and discolouring your hairs.
- Use a headband to push your hair back so you can blend the product right up to your hairline and create the illusion of a natural tan.
- Use a textured fake tanning mitt to apply your tanner. It makes it far easier to buff the product in and create a seamless glow from head to toe. Plus, the large surface area means you can complete an application quickly and access hard-to-reach areas like the middle of your back without assistance.
- Use the product left on the mitt to tan the backs of your hands by gently swiping them over your skin.
- Blend some face moisturiser into your fake tan to loosen the formula and make it easier to buff the product onto your cheeks, forehead and decolletage.
- Wear loose clothing after your treatment, taking care to avoid strappy tops, tight underwear and jeans that can cause tan marks and lines.
- Wash the guide colour off after the allotted time using a gentle body wash over a harsh shower gel to protect your colour from the get-go.
- After every shower, pat your skin dry to prolong your glow and follow up with a rich moisturiser to protect and prolong your sun-kissed skin.
Why not treat yourself to some of our latest product releases? Discover our expertly crafted collections here, and stay up to date with all our latest news, products and ranges via our Facebook and Instagram.