19 golden rules of tanning
A simple tanning guide for beginners.
A fuss-free set of useful tips.
Here’s a step-be-step guide to achieving a gorgeous fake tan at home with none of the extra boring bits. *The key is to prep your skin beforehand and give yourself plenty of time to apply your sunless tan in a comfortable space.*
- Exfoliate the night before.
- Remove unwanted hair.
- Avoid using perfumes and deodorants on the day.
- Apply petroleum jelly or nail varnish to your fingernails and toenails to prevent staining.
- If you’re tanning before bed remember to brush your teeth and lay out your old pyjamas.
- Push your hair back with a headband.
- Make sure to start tanning in a brightly lit space where you have access to a mirror.
- Pump a small amount of product onto your tanning mitt to begin with.
- Start applying the tanner to your feet and move upwards.
- Glide the product over the skin and gently buff in.
- Avoid areas like the sides of the feet and the soles to create a natural-looking finish.
- Mix a touch of moisturiser into your tanner to loosen the formula when applying to dry areas like the ankles and elbows.
- Get someone to help you to tan your back if you can…
- …but a little stretching and the aid of a good mirror should help you cover all areas.
- Let the tanner dry before putting your clothes back on.
- Once the colour has developed use a gentle body wash in the shower to remove the excess product. This one is great!
- Pat your skin dry to prevent removing any of your sun-kissed colour.
- Moisturise your entire body to hydrate your skin and boost the life of your tan.
- Continue to moisturise daily to retain your golden hue for as long as possible and promote an even fade off.